Monday, September 20, 2010

The Weekend

Well I made it through my first week of class. It isn't too bad and all four of my Japanese teachers are pretty good. So far I've had two quizes and tons of homework due and it only increases from here on out. I have two quizzes tomorrow. Luckily they are not too hard and my host family actually helps me study and understand things better. It's like being in Japanese class, but more fun. My okaasan got me a notebook that I can use to write all of the new words that I learn. I am learning a lot and some of them are words that are solely Japanese, they don't have a very good english definition, so it is pretty neat.

Saturday I went to Otaru with some friends. Otaru is an old-fashioned port city near Sapporo. It is famous for its glass blowing and music boxes. We went to a number of museums and shops to check out the really neat things. People do some strange stuff with music boxes and glass. We also went up Mt. Tengu and visited a chipmunk park. It was a caged in area where you could hand feed chipmunks, kind of strange. The view from the top was amazing, you could see the Sea of Japan and the port of Otaru. In the winter this mountain is a sky mountain so I may make a trip back here in a few months.

Some of you will be happy to know that 2 seconds from my house is a church that I have been going to. It is called the Green Chapel and is a bright green color. This past sunday I went with some friends to a church conference. It was kind of like the Lifeteen things back home.

Today is Elder's Day, kind of like grandparents day in the U.S. except a national holiday, and I don't have school. Thursday is also a holiday, it is the autumn equinox. So luckily this week as a few breaks because things are going to start picking up this week. I just have to get through this week and then it is a fun weekend filled with a cookout, baseball game, and the zoo!

Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment