Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The German Market in Japan

Hey Everyone!!

Well the journey is coming to a close pretty soon. Only a few more times to blog left and tons to talk about.

Where to start...

Well, on Friday I had my last official Japanese class here. The following days are all exams and a speech. After class there was a farewell Hi-C party. A bunch of Japanese students and some International students got together and we went to a Nabe restaurant in the city. Nabe is basically a meal that involves a big pot in the middle of a table where you can boil things like tofu, cabbage, mushrooms, meat, and other things together. It is pretty good. We all had a fun time. Daiki went and I had fun to talking with him. Many other Japanese students that I haven't really had a chance to talk to before went as well, so I got to talk with a few new people too.

Saturday was a very busy day. It started with my host family and I going out for ramen for lunch. Otousan and Daisuke have been talking about going to this famous ramen shop near by for awhile and we finally went. The ramen was basic ramen, but with lots and lots of meat. It was very big and wasn't able to finish it all. I thought it was pretty good, but Otousan and Daisuke seemed a little disappointed.

After lunch I met up with Mal, Euna, Daiki and Yatsu. Today we hung out and did a lot of stuff together because Mal, Euna and I will be leaving soon. We started by going to karaoke. I hadn't gone in a while so it was fun to go again. We all had a lot of fun singing different songs and a we even tried to sing some Japanese songs.

After karaoke we did some souvenir shopping at Shin Sapporo station, a very large subway station. Then it was time for dinner. We went to a restaurant called Donguri. It was my first time going there and it was pretty neat. It is a bread restaurant, but instead of ordering food, you can go and pick out assorted backed goods to eat. I go a chicken sandwich, a pizza type thing, and apple bread. It was all really good and very filling.
After dinner we met up with Daiki's girlfriend, Yukina, and then went bowling. We went to the same place that we went bowling before and had a blast. We did Japanese vs. Internationals and the Japanese won by a longshot. Daiki, Yatsu, and Yukina were all pretty good. I did about the same that I did last time, which isn't very good. Bowling was the last event for that long and fun day.

Sunday was the last time for Mal, Euna, and I to go to church at the Green Chapel. Today the people had a farewell party for us (we seem to be having a lot of those lately). They made curry for us and we all had a fun time. Eventually it was time to go and we said our goodbyes. Then it was studying time. The first part of this week is packed with exams so it will be very crazy.

On Monday I had my Japanese grammar/reading/listening exam. I think it went pretty well. I studied a lot for it so I felt pretty comfortable. After the exam I went to the student hall to study for my next exam. While I was studying I was approached by two Japanese students. Their names were Eiji and Shoko. They are students who are interested in making friends with international students. We talked for a while and had a lot of fun. We wanted to hang out some time, but it may be hard since I only have a few days left in Sapporo. If only we met sooner. Then it was time for my next exam. This exam was was for my Japanese Culture exam. the exam was a short answer exam and was pretty easy.

Today, Tuesday, I had a kanji exam. I studied a lot for this exam and I actually find kanji pretty interesting so I thought this exam was a little easy. After the kanji exam I am now completely done with my Japanese exams. All I have left now is a speech on Thursday.

Tuesday afternoon it started to snow. This was rather fitting because today Mal, Eric, Emily, and I went to the Munich Christmas Market in Sapporo. This is basically a market where German people come to Sapporo to sell hand-made Christmas things such as glass Santa's and wood carvings. Munich and Sapporo are sister cities. It was neat to walk through and see all of the different things. The market also sold a lot of different German food that we could try. Also part of the market was the White Illumination. A ton of Christmas lights were put up in the area. The lights decorated a park so we got to walk through the part and enjoy the lights while also doing some German shopping.
After exploring the market we walked through the city in search of this large Ferris wheel. We have seen the Ferris wheel almost every time we came to downtown Sapporo and have always talked about riding it. Well tonight we finally did. It was a lot of fun. We had a great view of all of Sapporo from up top. We could see the TV tower and Okura Yama sky jump. It was also beginning to snow harder so we got to see Sapporo in the snow from above which was neat.

Well, like I said before, the journey is unfortunately coming to a close soon. There are only a few more days left and I think they are all filled with activities so we all can enjoy Sapporo till the very end. Hopefully I get to hang out with all of the great friends that I have made here a few more times before I have to leave.



No comments:

Post a Comment